Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Career Research Paper.

 
My whole life I have been thinking about what am I going to be in life, what am I going to be doing for the rest of my life. As a child my “dream” job changed almost every week. I knew I wanted to make enough money so that I would be happy, and comfortable in life. I wanted a job that involved no stress, and I would enjoy going into work everyday. Helping others is something I enjoy doing, I like to see people happy.  As I got older I became more interested with eyes, so naturally I want to pursue a career in optometry. There are many steps to becoming an Optometrist, and the criteria for this job is important. After completing four years of schooling at a university, and earning a bachelors degree there are four more years of optometry school that is required to get a Doctor of Optometry or O.D. “In 2011, there 20 accredited O.D. programs in the United States.”[i] This tells me I have to work hard and do the best that I can if I want to become an optometrist.
        Optometry school has many programs and helpful hands on training. With a combine of classroom learning and clinical experiences, optometry school really prepares their students for the real world experience. Decision-making, interpersonal, and speaking skills are all important in this field of study[ii]. The scheduling and flexibility that come along with this job is another thing that I like. They do not sit behind a desk all day and in some cases working weekends only is another option. Some optometrists are even self-employed, that is my goal, to not for anyone or under anyone but for my self.  
       
        Finishing school and going the extra step to get my masters or PhD is something that is mandatory. In the world we are living in now a bachelor’s degree is something everyone has or can get, you have to be dedicated and passionate to strive for your masters. I have always said it is better to have something and not need it, than to need something and not have it. So a master’s degree is a must.  To get where I want to be in life and my career I need to complete school with flying colors, get accepted into optometry school and excel in that.
        All of the requirements and standards I hold for my job in the future are important to me. I hope my future job meets all of them, and for some even triple, like salary. I am ready to do the work that I needed in order for me to reach my ultimate goal, which is being so comfortable and letting my money make money for me. I know I have a lot of work to do to get there, but ensuring that I get all of the education that I need is vital. All of the time I put into it now will reward me in the end. I know this job is good fit for me because this is something I am passionate about and I can see myself enjoying going to work everyday and that is something that is important to me, and I will be helping people.



[i] Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-13 Edition, Optometrists, 
on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/optometrists.htm (visited November 22, 2013).

[ii] Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-13 Edition, Optometrists, 
on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/optometrists.htm (visited November 22, 2013).

No comments:

Post a Comment